Here are some general rules to follow for trash and recycling pickups for Novi’s solid waste program. If you have any questions, please contact GFL Environmental USA at 248-204-6759. To ensure your trash and recycling is picked up, please:
- Place your garbage and recycling in the appropriate carts by 7:00am on your collection day. Carts should be removed by the evening of your collection day.
- Each cart should have 3 feet between it and any other item.
- Do not overfill carts. If you have additional garbage, please place it in another container that is no larger than 35 gallons. If you need additional carts, contact GFL Environmental.
- Do not put hot ashes, charcoal or hazardous materials such as paint, chemicals, liquids, car batteries, etc. in your garbage or recycling cart.
- Label your yard waste containers with a yellow sticker (can be picked up at the Civic Center) and bundle your sticks. Yard waste ends week of Dec. 13.
Waste Less. Recycle More
Visit the Resource Recovery and Recycling Authority of Southwest Oakland County (RRRASOC) website at for additional curbside recycling information and community recycling events.
Household furniture, a mattress and box spring or a refrigerator are examples of bulk items that will be picked up at no additional cost.
Call GFL Environmental 248.204.6759 (press prompt 3 then prompt 9) (7:00am to 6:00pm Monday through Friday) to schedule a pickup. Bulk items will be picked up on your regularly scheduled collection day.
Novi residents on the City’s GFL Environmental contract receive a 95-gallon trash cart and 65-gallon recycling cart. Residents must use the 65-gallon cart for recycling but do not have to use the 95-gallon cart for trash. Residents can request additional carts from GFL Environmental (for a fee) by calling 248.204.6759 (press prompt 3 then prompt 9) .
Here are some guidelines for how to care for your garbage and recycling carts If your cart is missing or damaged, please contact GFL Environmental at 248.204.6759 (press prompt 3 then prompt 9):
- Do not place heavy items in the cart, such as concrete, sand, gravel or soil.
- Rinse the cart out with water from time to time. If odor exists, then use a mild soap and water to wash the cart.
- Do not exceed the weight limits listed on the cart.
- Hot items such as BBQ, ashes or fire will destroy the cart, and should never be placed in the cart.
- Hazardous materials, chemicals, or flammable liquids should not be put in the cart.
- Never roll the cart with the lid open.
- Do not place the cart on slopes.
- Dragging the cart will wear a hole in the bottom. Please make sure to use the wheels to transport the cart from you home to the curb on collection days.
- Playing on or in the cart can cause injury or entrapment and should not be done.
If your cart is missing or damaged, please contact GFL Environmental at 248.204.6759 (press prompt 3 then prompt 9).
Interactive Route Map
Static PDF Route Map