Recent population estimates reinforce Novi’s positions as one of the most desirable communities to live in Metro Detroit
The City of Novi has steadily gained population over the past 50 years, with a 2013 estimated population of nearly 60,000 (SEMCOG). This 7.3% increase is the 2nd largest population increase since 2010 in southeast Michigan, reinforcing Novi’s position as one of the desirable communities to live in metro Detroit.
New population estimates have been released by the Southeast Michigan Council of Governments (SEMCOG) for the seven-county region in southeastern Michigan. The population estimates focus on changes from the April 2010 US Census to new figures in July 2013. While more than two-thirds of the communities in region grew in population, the City of Novi had the second-largest population increase in the three-year timeframe, adding 4,021 residents, an increase of 7.3%, bringing Novi's estimated population up from 55,374 to 59,395. Novi's population now exceeds that of the City of Pontiac (estimated 59,248) and is approaching that of the City of Royal Oak (estimated 59,478) . The City of Novi is now the 8th largest community (out of the 59) in Oakland County.
The full document is available on the SEMCOG website
American Community Survey shows Novi above average in educational attainment, household income, and median home values, just to name a few
The American Community Survey (ACS) is a nationwide survey conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau designed to provide communities a fresh look at how they are changing. The ACS produces and provides data every year giving communities the current information they need to plan investments and services. In November, the Census Bureau released the ACS 2010-2012 3-year estimates. Nationally, information from the survey helps determine how more than $400 billion in federal and state funds are distributed each year. Locally, the data can help the City identify how the City is changing, which in turn can aid in forecasting future changes and needs.
Using the survey data it collects, the ACS produces 3-year estimates annually for geographic areas with a population of 20,000 or more, including the City of Novi. The ACS collects information such as age, race, income, commute time to work, home value, veteran status, and other important data. As with the 2010 decennial census, information about individuals remains confidential. The ACS collects and produces population and housing information every year instead of every ten years. Collecting data every year provides more up-to-date information throughout the decade about the U.S. population at the local community level. About 3.5 million housing unit addresses are selected annually, across every county in the nation.
Key Selected Social, Housing and Economic Characteristics are highlighted below. More information regarding the ACS and the complete list of available reports is available on the U.S. Census Bureau American Fact Finder website
Key Selected Social Characteristics
- The average household size grew to 2.4 people per household in Novi, which still is smaller than the state average of 2.54.
- The percentage of traditional family households in Novi decreased 2.58% to 62%, which is slightly lower than the state average of just over 65%. This number is expected to continue to decrease as non-traditional households are projected to continue to decline.
- While the educational attainment of Novi residents continues to be well above state averages, the most recent estimates in Novi did decrease slightly, with 94.3% of residents with at least a high school diploma and just over 54% with a college degree.
- The veteran population in Novi increased to 7.6% of the population 18 and over.
- The percentage of foreign born residents in Novi decreased from 20% to 17.6% between the two time periods, which is still substantially higher than the state average of 6.1%.
Key Selected Economic Characteristics
- Over 70% of the population 16 and older is in the work force, which is higher than the state average of 61.7%. Both Novi and Michigan saw decreases in the workforce.
- The average commute time for residents of Novi was 26.4 minutes, which is slightly higher than the state average of 24 minutes, but slightly less than it was previously.
- The average (mean) household income increased nearly 1.5% in the three year span, which suggests that Novi’s households are doing economically well, especially when compared to the state overall, which saw a decrease of over 6% during the same time period.
- Despite the high household incomes, still 4.6% of families and 6.3% of residents in Novi had incomes dip below the poverty level. This is still substantially lower than the state average of 12.4% and 17.3% respectively.
Key Selected Housing Characteristics
- The number of vacant housing units in Novi has dropped significantly from 9.1% to 5%, a decrease in 82%, much lower than the state’s 16% vacancy rate. This indicates that more people are moving to Novi, lowering the vacancy rate and increasing the demand for housing.
- The median home values decreased to $224,800, a decrease of a little over 16%. The median home values in Novi still remain roughly double the state average, which decreased a substantially higher; roughly 22% drop in value during the same time period.
- Housing units with a mortgage dropped significantly, nearly 9% to 72.5% of dwellings between the two time periods. This decrease is consistent with the state and national averages reflecting an increase in the rental populations as residents are faced with the repercussions of the recent mortgage crisis; however Novi still has a higher than average percentage of dwelling units with a mortgage when compared to state averages.
- The median gross rent in Novi was $988 per month in 2010-2012, a 2.63% increase since 2007-2009, and over $200 higher than state averages.
2010 Census shows City of Novi with a 16.5% population increase
The 2010 Census Data has been released and shows the City of Novi continues to grow. According to the data, Novi is among the fastest growing cities in Oakland County, with a 16.5% increase in population over the past 10 years. Neighboring communities have generally seen population increases as well, making Novi well situated in the southwest region of Oakland County and the metro-Detroit area. Novi is now the 28th largest city in the state with a population of 55,224, up from 33rd 10 years ago. Read the full Press Release.