Skip to navigation
Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions - 

Shouldn’t my existing backflow prevention devices be “grandfathered” as they were approved under a different set of regulations?
What is potable water?
What is a cross connection? What cross connections may be in my residence?
What is a “backflow?”
What is contamination as it relates to cross connections? What is pollution?
When do I need a backflow prevention device/assembly?
How do I know what type of protective device I need?
What is a backflow prevention device? What is a backflow prevention assembly?
Why is a backflow prevention device important?
Who can test a backflow prevention assembly?
Why are backflow testers required to be licensed plumbers?
Do I need a permit to test a backflow prevention assembly? What about a plumbing permit?
What should I do with a test report once my backflow prevention assembly is tested?
What are the relevant laws, ordinances, and regulations that require cross connection inspections, corrective measures and backflow prevention device testing?
How can a backflow event occur when my water pressure is a content 60psi or greater to my residence?
I have been told that codes do not allow you to install backflow preventers on my exterior hose spigots or hose bibs because they are only intended to be installed on the interior because of freezing, is this true?
I've been told that when installing a backflow preventer (hose bib vacuum breaker) on my exterior spigot/hose connection/hose bib that I need to break off a screw to make it permanent, is this true?
Why do I need to install a backflow preventer (hose bib vacuum breaker) on my exterior hose connection, I never hook a hose up to it or if I do have a hose it's neatly wound in a hose reel and never left sitting on the ground?
Is a kitchen sink faucet required to meet plumbing code requirements for backflow prevention?