PLANNING COMMISSION ACTION SUMMARY
CITY OF NOVI
December 14, 2011 | 7 PM
Council Chambers | Novi Civic Center |45175 W. Ten Mile
CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order at or about 7:00 PM.
Present: Member Anthony, Member Baratta, Member Greco, Member Gutman, Member Lynch, Chair Pehrson
Absent: Member Prince (excused)
Also Present: Barbara McBeth, Deputy Director of Community Development; Kristin Kolb, City Attorney; Mark Spencer, Planner; David Campbell, Planner
APPROVAL OF AGENDA
Motion to approve the December 14, 2011 Planning Commission agenda. Motion carried 6-0.
1. RETAIL SERVICE OVERLAY AND OFFICE DISTRICT TEXT AMENDMENT 18.254
Public hearing for Planning Commissionís recommendation to the City Council to amend the City of Novi Zoning Ordinance as follows:
Motion to recommend approval to the City Council for Zoning Ordinance Text Amendment 18.254, Retail Services Overlay and Office District Text Amendments, as proposed, for the following reasons:
1) Eliminating the OS-2, Planned Office Service District removes an obsolete district from the Zoning Ordinance;
2) The proposed text amendments are consistent with the 2010 Master Plan for Land Use;
3) Limiting the area for retail services and limiting the amount of general retail space within the Retail Overlay area identified on the Future Land Use Map, and as proposed in the Retail Service Overlay Zoning Ordinance provisions, reduces the potential impact on existing and planned retail in the nearby area;
4) Limiting vehicular access of new developments in the Retail Overlay area to main roads will reduce traffic impacts from retail development; and
5) Allowing for a limited amount of retail service uses to serve the employees and visitors within and near the Retail Overlay area identified on the Future Land Use Map, and as proposed in the Retail Service Overlay Zoning Ordinance provisions, may make the prospect of developing new businesses in this area more attractive and thus create greater potential for additional development and redevelopment in the nearby OST District.
Motion carried 6-0.
MATTERS FOR CONSIDERATION
Motion to approve the October 5, 2011 Planning Commission minutes. Motion carried 6-0.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:14 PM.
*Actual Language of motions subject to review.