This year's Youth Police & Fire Leadership Academy is July 15-19, 2019 (Mon-Fri,12-4pm). Registration details and application forms will be available soon.
Youth Police & Fire Leadership Academy Training
The Youth Police & Fire Leadership Academy was created to provide area teens with an inside look at local law enforcement and fire prevention careers, while challenging and preparing them to become citizen leaders in their community.
- The Academy will be held July 15-19, 2019 (Monday-Friday)
- It will take place from 10am-4pm daily (except Monday, which will begin at 9am.
Where is the Academy taking place?
- The program will primarily be conducted at the Novi Police Department Training Center, located at 45125 Ten Mile Rd. One day will be spent at the Walled Lake Outdoors Educational Center, and another day will be spent at the Fire Department Training Center (corner of Ten Mile and Wixom roads).
Will participants need to bring anything?
- Each student will be provided with a Dri-fit T-shirt, matching shorts, water bottle, and sling bag to carry their gear in for the week. They will be asked (and expected) to wear the provided “uniform” for the week.
- Participants should wear sturdy, athletic-style footwear each day. No flip-flops or sandals.
- Students should pack a lunch each day.
- All participants will also be required to bring a great attitude, lots of enthusiasm, plenty of questions, a strong desire to learn new things, willingness to contribute in a team environment, and the ability to have a lot of fun.
What are the goals of the program?
During this program, Novi’s Public Safety staff will educate participants on a variety of subjects pertaining to law enforcement and fire safety and prevention. Each Novi Youth Police & Fire Leadership Academy graduate will gain a deeper knowledge of how Public Safety fits into the Novi Community, while being motivated in a team driven environment aimed at developing leadership qualities.
The core objectives of the Novi Youth Police & Fire Leadership Academy are to:
- Increase understanding through education and interaction with the Police and Fire Departments.
- Provide positive interaction with Department staff and to educate youth about the challenges and responsibility of law enforcement and fire prevention.
- Create and develop responsible, well-informed youth citizens and future leaders.
- Build lasting and productive partnerships between Novi Public Safety and the community members we serve.
- Establish lasting bonds of friendship with squad-mates and other Academy participants.
What is the program format?
- Physical Activity - Each day will include some basic physical fitness (callisthenic-style exercise), as well as activities that are aimed at keeping the students moving throughout the day, just like police and fire professionals do during their shift.
- Team-Building Challenges - Activities that will reflect the nature of Public Safety work, which relies heavily on the team approach, will be presented throughout the week. These challenges will contain both physical and mental elements, as well as a healthy dose of communication among the squads. We will even spend an entire day at the Walled Lake Outdoor Education Center to participate in their Adventure Challenge Programs. This program involves all sorts of adventurous team-related events, including climbing, ropes course, zip-lining, etc.
- Classroom Learning - Students will be taught by experts from the police and fire protection professions with a mix of lecture style and hands-on demonstration style learning. Topics include:
- Patrol operations
- Use of force
- Traffic laws
- Traffic stops
- Judicial system
- Digital forensics
- Crime scene investigation
- Fire Department operations
- Confined spaces rescue
- Home fire/emergency safety
- Jaws of life
Qualifications and Application Process
The Novi Youth Police & Fire Leadership Academy is intended for students who possess an interest in police and/or fire protection sciences.
The class size will not exceed 30 students. It could be fewer. Therefore, applicants must meet the following qualifications, as well as demonstrate they are highly motivated to learn about these fields and participate in what this camp offers. Please do not apply for the program for child care, or scholarship community involvement requirement purposes.
The program, requirements, and application process are different than prior years. So please carefully consider the following criteria and instructions.
Who is eligible to apply for the Academy?
- Novi residents or students who attend a school in the City of Novi (priority will be given to Novi residents).
- Youth 13-16 years of age at the time of the academy.
- Teens interested in, and enthused about, Public Safety professions
How can we apply for the Academy?
- Students, along with parent or guardian, should complete the application form. A link will be posted on April 1, 2019.
- Each student should prepare and attach an essay with their application (see below instructions).
- Arrange for a letter of recommendation, from a school official, to be emailed prior to the close of the registration period (see below instructions).
When is the application period?
- Student applications will be taken between April 1 and April 30, 2019.
- Early or late applications will not be received.
- Applicants who do not include an essay with their application or have their letter of recommendation received by April 30, 2019, will not be considered further.
What happens next?
- Completed applications with included essay and letter of recommendation, received by April 30th, will be presented to the selection committee on May 1, 2019.
- Selected applicants will be notified by May 10, 2019 to confirm their participation in the program.
- Selected applicants will need a waiver form signed and returned by their parent or guardian in order to finalize their participation.
- An academy orientation will be scheduled for the week prior to the program.
- Selected students and a parent or guardian will need to attend this information meeting.
In order to determine the interest level and enthusiasm of perspective students for the Novi Youth Police & Fire Leadership Academy, interested students should submit a self-composed essay with their application.
- Essays should be neatly hand-written, or typed (preferably), and included as an attachment with the online application (PDF or Word .doc formats only).
- Essays must be a minimum of 400 words.
- Hint—A well written essay will address: (1) why the student is passionate about attending the Academy; (2) what unique qualities the student can offer to their team of peers if selected for the Academy; and (3) what sort of leadership skills the student hopes to learn and take back to their community (i.e. school, neighborhood, family, etc.) after completing the Academy.
Letter of Recommendation Instructions
Applicants will need to arrange a letter of recommendation on their behalf, describing why they would be a positive addition to the Academy.
- Letters should be from a school official (i.e. teacher, counselor, or administrator). Homeschooled applicants may feel free to use another community leader, such as a youth pastor, city official, etc.
- Letters can be in email form, but must be from the official domain reflecting the school, church, or civic organization that the author is with (such as novik12.org, or cityofnovi.org). Please, no personal email accounts.
- All letters must be received by the end of the day on April 30, 2019.
- Letters can be emailed to Detective Jon Zabick
If you have additional questions, please contact either:
Detective Jon Zabick
248-449-1537 or Email
Detective Julie Warren
248-449-1606 or Email