This year's Police & Fire Youth Leadership Academy is July 13-17, 2020 (Mon-Fri,10am-4pm).
The Police & Fire Youth Leadership Academy was created to provide area teens with an inside look at local law enforcement and fire prevention careers, while challenging and preparing them to become citizen leaders in their community.
- The Academy will be held July 13-17, 2020 (Monday-Friday)
- Applications will be accepted through April 15, 2020.
- It will take place from 10am-4pm daily (except Monday, which will begin at 9am).
Where is the Academy taking place?
- The program will primarily be conducted at the Novi Police Department Training Center, located at 45125 Ten Mile Rd. One day will be spent at the Walled Lake Outdoors Educational Center, and another day will be spent at the Fire Department Training Center (corner of Ten Mile and Wixom roads).
Will participants need to bring anything?
- Each student will be provided with a Dri-fit T-shirt, matching shorts, water bottle, and sling bag to carry their gear in for the week. They will be asked (and expected) to wear the provided “uniform” for the week.
- Participants should wear sturdy, athletic-style footwear each day. No flip-flops or sandals.
- Students should pack a lunch each day.
- All participants will also be required to bring a great attitude, lots of enthusiasm, plenty of questions, a strong desire to learn new things, willingness to contribute in a team environment, and the ability to have a lot of fun.
Police & Fire Youth Leadership Academy Training
What are the goals of the program?
During this program, Novi’s Public Safety staff will educate participants on a variety of subjects pertaining to law enforcement and fire safety and prevention. Each Novi Police & Fire Youth Leadership Academy graduate will gain a deeper knowledge of how Public Safety fits into the Novi Community, while being motivated in a team driven environment aimed at developing leadership qualities.
The core objectives of the Novi Police & Fire Youth Leadership Academy are to:
- Increase understanding through education and interaction with the Police and Fire Departments.
- Provide positive interaction with Department staff and to educate youth about the challenges and responsibility of law enforcement and fire prevention.
- Create and develop responsible, well-informed youth citizens and future leaders.
- Build lasting and productive partnerships between Novi Public Safety and the community members we serve.
- Establish lasting bonds of friendship with squad-mates and other Academy participants.
What is the program format?
- Physical Activity - Each day will include some basic physical fitness (callisthenic-style exercise), as well as activities that are aimed at keeping the students moving throughout the day, just like police and fire professionals do during their shift.
- Team-Building Challenges - Activities that will reflect the nature of Public Safety work, which relies heavily on the team approach, will be presented throughout the week. These challenges will contain both physical and mental elements, as well as a healthy dose of communication among the squads. We will even spend an entire day at the Walled Lake Outdoor Education Center to participate in their Adventure Challenge Programs. This program involves all sorts of adventurous team-related events, including climbing, ropes course, zip-lining, etc.
- Interactive Learning - Students will be taught by experts from the police and fire protection professions with a mix of classroom style and hands-on demonstration style learning. Topics include:
- Patrol operations
- Use of force
- Traffic laws
- Traffic stops
- Judicial system
- Digital forensics
- Crime scene investigation
- Fire Department operations
- Confined spaces rescue
- Home fire/emergency safety
- Jaws of life
Qualifications and Application Process
The Novi Police & Fire Youth Leadership Academy is intended for students who possess an interest in police and/or fire protection sciences.
The class size will not exceed 30 students. It could be fewer. Therefore, applicants must meet the following qualifications, as well as demonstrate they are highly motivated to learn about these fields and participate in what this camp offers. Please do not apply for the program for child care, or scholarship community involvement requirement purposes.
The program, requirements, and application process are different than prior years. So please carefully consider the following criteria and instructions.
Who is eligible to apply for the Academy?
- Novi residents or students who attend a school in the City of Novi (priority will be given to Novi residents).
- Youth 13-16 years of age at the time of the academy.
- Teens interested in, and enthused about, Public Safety professions
- Prior academy graduates are welcome to reapply, however priority is given to those who have not attended. Any openings will be offered to prior students based on the order their completed application was received, as well as the quality of their efforts to contribute during their time in the program.
How can we apply for the Academy?
- Students, along with parent or guardian, should complete the application form.
- Each student should prepare and attach an essay with their application (see below instructions).
- Arrange for a letter of recommendation, from a school official, to be emailed prior to the close of the registration period (see below instructions).
When is the application period?
- Student applications will be taken through April 15, 2020.
- Late applications will not be received.
- Applicants who do not include an essay with their application or have their letter of recommendation received by April 15, 2020, will not be considered further.
What happens next?
- Completed applications with included essay and letter of recommendation, received by April 15, will be presented to the selection committee.
- Selected applicants will be notified within one week to confirm their participation in the program.
- Selected applicants will need a waiver form signed and returned by their parent or guardian in order to finalize their participation.
- An academy orientation will be scheduled for the week prior to the program.
- Selected students and a parent or guardian will need to attend this information meeting.
In order to determine the interest level and enthusiasm of perspective students for the Novi Police & Fire Youth Leadership Academy, interested students should submit a self-composed essay with their application.
- Essays should be neatly hand-written, or typed (preferably), and included as an attachment with the online application (PDF or Word .doc formats only).
- Essays must be a minimum of 400 words.
- Hint—A well written essay will address: (1) why the student is passionate about attending the Academy; (2) what unique qualities the student can offer to their team of peers if selected for the Academy; and (3) what sort of leadership skills the student hopes to learn and take back to their community (i.e. school, neighborhood, family, etc.) after completing the Academy.
Letter of Recommendation Instructions
Applicants will need to arrange a letter of recommendation on their behalf, describing why they would be a positive addition to the Academy.
- Letters should be from a school official (i.e. teacher, counselor, or administrator). Homeschooled applicants may feel free to use another community leader, such as a youth pastor, city official, etc.
- Letters can be in email form, but must be from the official domain reflecting the school, church, or civic organization that the author is with (such as novik12.org, or cityofnovi.org). Please, no personal email accounts.
- All letters must be received by the end of the day on April 15, 2020.
- Letters can be emailed to Detective Jon Zabick
If you have additional questions, please contact either:
Detective Jon Zabick
248-449-1537 or Email
Detective Julie Warren
248-449-1606 or Email
2020 Novi Police & Fire Youth Leadership Academy Application
Please note any medical information pertaining to this participant (i.e. medications required, allergies)
In case of an emergency, the following person may be contacted if parent of guardian is not available:
Please submit an essay.
Guardian Consent and Release - read before signing
As the parent or legal guardian of above named participant, I give my permission for him/her to attend the 2020 Youth Police & Fire Leadership Academy on July 13 - 17, 2020. I grant permission for my child to participate in all activities scheduled. Event sponsors and volunteers are authorized to obtain whatever medical attention is required in the event of an injury to this child. I have listed all pertinent medical information relating to this child. I understand that applications are subject to a criminal history check along with a CLEMIS (a county wide computer check of police contacts). The purpose of this background check is to ensure the topics taught in this course will not be used for future criminal activity. The City of Novi, Novi Police & Fire Departments, Novi Community School District, Walled Lake School District, Northville Public Schools, South Lyon Schools, Catholic Central, Mercy, its board members, officers, directors, agents, volunteers, employees and sponsors, either voluntary or employed, assume no responsibility whatever for any injury suffered to this child in the course of the event. I hereby release, exonerate and discharge the aforementioned parties, its board members, officers, directors, agents, volunteers, employees and sponsors, either voluntary or employed, from any and all liability, actions, of causes of action for any injuries suffered by this child while participating in this event.