Agenda - Saturday, January 11, 2014
CITY COUNCIL AGENDA
CITY OF NOVI
Special City Council Meeting
Saturday | January 11, 2014 | 8:30 A.M.
Council Chambers | 45175 Ten Mile Road
Note: Light breakfast will be provided between 7:15 – 8 a.m.
Call to Order/Pledge of Allegiance/Start and Welcome - Mayor Gatt
ROLL CALL: Mayor Gatt, Mayor Pro Tem Staudt, Council Members Casey,
Fischer, Markham, Mutch, and Wrobel
APPROVAL OF AGENDA
1. Today’s Agenda for Early Budget Input - Clay Pearson
a. Today’s Work
b. Background information:
• Administrative Retreat Summary/Early Budget Input Session Primer
• Youth Council/Teen Survey Results
• 2014 Property Tax Base Projections
• Early Revenue Projections
• 2014 Economic Development Goals and Strategies Draft
• Preliminary CIP Summary
• 2013-14 Project Update/Red Box Objectives
• City Council Goals Revisited
2. Initial City Council Member Thoughts – Roundtable Overview Thoughts
3. Review Major Strategic Theme Categories
a. City Council to discuss any additional themes to be added or changed; suggested Strategic Themes include:
• Nurture public services that residents want and value
Make long-term strategic and sustainable investments in Roads, Water, Sewer and Parks.
• Operate a world-class and sustainable local government
Maintain an efficient and effective, fiscally-responsibly local government which leverages communication, strategic partnerships, and skilled staff.
• Value and build a desirable and vibrant community for residents and businesses alike now and into the future
Encourage quality economic development to maximize city revenue and job growth while protecting and enhancing natural areas, natural features and community character. Provide for development, acquisition and rehabilitation of parks and public lands. Provide cultural opportunities and
recreational infrastructure and resources for a growing and diverse population.
• Invest properly in being a Safe Community at all times for all people.
Ensure Police, Fire, Public Services meet the needs of all residents, businesses, and visitors at all times.
b. City Council to brainstorm service improvements for each of the broad Strategic Themes (outlined above – using Meeting Works technology)using time horizons of short-term (next 18 months) for consideration into the FY 14/15 Budgets and long-term (18 months plus and on-going) visions/concepts for consideration into future CIPs, operating budgets, and/or holding for future short term consideration.
c. City Council to explain, clarify, etc. ambiguities or questions regarding list of service improvements (to correct as suggested using Meeting Works technology before prioritize voting)
d. City Council to prioritize vote within each of the Strategic Themes of service improvements (using Meeting Works technology)
4. Review Results
a. Review results of ranking by Council in each of the service improvements in each of the Strategic Themes
b. Next Steps and Final Wrap-Up
AUDIENCE COMMENTS – In order to hear all citizen comments at a reasonable hour, the City Council requests that speakers respect the three-minute time limit for individual comments and the five-minute time limit for an individual speaking on behalf of a group.
Adjourn (target by 1 p.m.)