Novi’s Family Self Defense Center receives international recognition
Release date: Friday, May 12, 2017
Contact: Nathan Mueller, Community Relations Specialist 248-347-0431
NOVI, Mich., May 12, 2017 – Family Self Defense Center (FSDC), in partnership with Novi Parks, continues to receive international recognition. For the 11th year, the dojo has been selected as one of the “Top Five Isshinryu Schools in the World.” The dojo currently boasts more than 150 students, including 26 actively training and teaching black belts.
The following students and senseis will be honored at the Isshinryu Hall of Fame Awards Banquet on July 21 in Gatlinburg, Tenn. Finalists for 2017 are:
- Isshinryu Dojo of the Year: Family Self Defense Center
- Young Female Karate Student 12 and under: Rowan Adomaitis, and Shaelyn Carroll
- Young Male Karate Student 12 and under: Trevor Adomaitis
- Young Male Karate Student 13-17: Anthony DeFeo
- Adult Female Karate Student: Lizzy Arnold
- Adult Male Karate Student: Scott Verhelle
- Female Instructor of the Year: Lizzy Arnold, Ryan Swanson and Ms. Chris Szelap
- Male Instructor of the Year: Ted Lambert
- Jr. Female Competitor: Ameilia Chung
- Don Nagle, Sensei of Sensei’s Award: Ms. Chris Szelap
- Outstanding Contribution to Isshinryu by a non-student: Kim Carroll
Once again, FSDC earned more nominations this year for their students and senseis than any other Isshinryu school in the world.
FSDC students and senseis traveling to Gatlinburg will also compete in the International Tournament held July 22, where many FSDC students have earned world titles previously. FSDC offers classes through Novi Parks on Monday and Tuesday evenings in Isshinryu Karate and Okinawan weaponry, including an adults-only martial arts class. More information can be found at karatebyfsdc.com
Back row: Lizzy Arnold, Scott Verhelle, Ted Lambert, Kim Carroll, Chris Szelap, Ed Szelap.
Front Row: Ryan Swanson, Shaelyn Carroll, Ameilia Chung, Rowan Adomaitis, Trevor Adomaitis, Anthony DeFeo.