“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.” -Forest Witcraft
Silver Lining is an intergenerational program which brings together older adults with elementary school children. During weekly sessions, older adults engage in activities such as crafts, games, puzzles, and conversation with the students at Novi Community School District elementary schools. Silver Lining is sponsored by Novi Youth Assistance, Novi Community School District, and the City of Novi Older Adult Services.
Who can be a Silver Lining Mentor?
Any caring older adult who has an hour to spare for an elementary school child on a weekly basis. Although support is provided, you do not need special training. You just need a desire to be a friend to a child.
- Over 18 years old
- Responsible, flexible, and reliable
- Interest in working with young people
- Willingness to complete the application packet and screening process, including a background investigation and reference check
- Willingness to adhere to all program policies and procedures and to sign program agreement
- Dependable and consistent in meeting time commitments
- Attendance at mentor training sessions as necessary
- Willingness to communicate regularly with program staff, submit activity information, and to receive feedback regarding mentoring activities
- Access to transportation, auto insurance, and a good driving record
- No criminal record
- No illicit drug use